Countless articles have been posted with the “best things to do in heat”. Each is with a smile and few plugs for a paid advertisers.
Here are "Real World, you can do it now tips. The key is to keep your home at a "normal" temperature without having your AC work overtime. It is counter-intuitive but raising your thermostat slightly can make a big difference on extremely hot days. Whether you do this or not, the tips below can help no matter what.
1. Close your blinds curtains (as discussed previously, here).
2. Close the doors to unused rooms that face the sun (*note- we recommend against fully closing vents in those rooms as the area can get "too hot" and actually radiate adjoining areas).
3. Run Fans (typically, ceiling fans should run counter-clockwise).
4. Hang out in lower parts of your home (basement, etc.).
5. Grill or Eat out! (forego using your oven).
6. Use lighweight sheets and a blanket on your bed. "Less is more".
7. Eat Soup! This really works, so does spicy food. Just as in the next tip, it can jump-start your body's internal cooling system (a popular trick in Southeast Asia).
8. (Seriously)- Go Outside! Spend time in the shade but take in the heat. A few minutes outside initiates your body's internal cooling process making the indoors feel cooler and your body continue regulating it's temperature hours after heat exposure.
8. BUT, drink cold liquids (besides hydrating, it helps keep body temp lower).
9. Take a cold shower.
DO NOT OVER EXERT YOURSELF. Your grass DOES NOT need to be cut today (it will only hurt it anyway).
Stay Hydrated and keep an eye on Pets (even your neighbor’s pets).
PLEASE be vigilant for kids in cars!!!!!!!
|*Not a 100% accurate story: The house pictures above was once a 3 story colonial painted a cool "tiffany blue". They didn't take our advice and now you see the remnants.|
Hope this helps. For more tips follow this blog and remember to visit EFynch to register for more homeowners tips, discounts, or help in finding the next home repair proffesional or handyman in your area.